Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Your Ministry

" Likewise, teach the older women to be reverent in the way they live, not to be slanderers or addicted to much wine, but to teach what is good. Then they can urge the younger women to love their husbands and children,  to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God. " -Titus 2:3-5 NIV


  When I first gave my life to the Lord, I was in my mid-twenties, and I was on fire!  After living so many years in utter darkness, with depression & addictions, God turned the light switch on, and suddenly the world seemed so much more colorful, literally.  I had such dreams. I wanted to do so many things for the Lord.  I felt called to minister to the prostitutes & the "rejects" of society.  After getting a taste of prison ministry, I had a longing to do that on a regular basis, I loved it so much.  I had dreams of writing my dramatic life story, since the Lord had given me a writing gift.  I had so many dreams!  So many hopes.
  When I had the opportunity to do missions throughout Atlantic Canada, my appetite was whetted for that, as I saw people come to Christ, and as I had opportunity to share my testimony, as well as witness through songs & skits.  I was totally in my element, and thought, 'Now THIS is living!'  It was fantastic!  
  There is a time and a season for everything, and perhaps your biggest dream was to become a mother, but mine was not.  Although my son was planned, I always longed to get out on the street and get my hands dirty, so to speak.  I wanted to do something for the Kingdom---or should I say feel like I was doing something for the Kingdom.
  It was very hard, and has been hard to accept that those things can not be focused on at this point in my life.  God has made it clear that my ministry is firstly that of a wife, and secondly, that of a mother.  These ministries can often seem monotonous and thankless in many respects, if we're really honest with ourselves, and sometimes we feel like we are doing nothing for the Kingdom as we see other friends, who perhaps have no kids, or their kids are old enough to be independent, doing missions and the very things we dreamed of doing.  We feel useless.  We feel like we're a bump on the log.  At least that is how I have felt.
  However, the call of being a wife & a mother is a high calling.  Besides that, if we excel in that ministry, we may not realize it, but that does effect others and is a witness in itself.  When others see how solid your marriage is & how much you love your child & care for them, then this will point them to God.  Besides that, you could be raising the next Elijah or Moses or Esther.  You don't know what plans God has for your child.  

  Your job and ministry right now are to love your husband & to raise your children to love God and love their neighbor as themselves, and to walk into the calling God has placed upon their lives.  Our kids are the future.  Don't discredit or devalue the power of your ministry as a wife and mother!  Don't allow feelings of being cheated or of discontent creep in as I have done at times.  Remember how important being a homemaker is.  And remember that there are things you can do as such.  Perhaps you could visit that lonely neighbor with your child in tow, or bake a casserole for that person who just lost someone, or pray for someone in need. Prayer is crucial.  There are so many things that being a homemaker encompasses & so many ways to minister to a lost world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment