Monday, March 12, 2012

Long Awaited God-Sent Friendships


“I thank my God every time I remember you.” – Philippians 1:3 NIV

  Something very exciting & encouraging happened to me yesterday, at a birthday party for a friend’s son:  I met another couple with a son with Autism who is very similar to my son & only a year apart in age.  I can’t even explain how amazing it was to just stand there and talk to the father, and then later, the mother about our children, and the things they struggle with and the things they excel in.  I have never, ever been able to do this, and it was such a blessing from God!  God knew that it couldn’t be just anyone, but that the people would have to have a great love for Him & trust in Him. 
  Talking to them, it also gave me peace about some decisions we had made with our child, and again I felt we were doing the right things for him.  Isn’t it nice just to meet someone who can empathize with what you go through?  They don’t have to give advice or anything else: Only listen, and understand because they’ve been there or are still there. 
  I have never been one to go to a support group, for my own personal reasons, so I’ve gone it alone for the most part; just God & I, through this journey with my son, and so it’s such a novelty to meet people who “get it”. 
  God always has perfect timing, and a few months ago, I didn’t even want to admit that my son had special needs.  It took a lot for me to even say that.  So God brought people into my life just at the right time, when He knew I would receive them as I should.
  So now I am excited at these new friendships.  Just to know there is someone else out there who understands…..it’s just amazing what that can do for a person.
  I encourage you, if you know any other mothers out there who have a child or children with special needs, reach out to them. Encourage them.  Pray for them.  Pray for their children.  Be God with skin on.  Perhaps they feel as alone as I did, and you will be the one to relieve that.

No comments:

Post a Comment