Friday, March 23, 2012

Happy 6th Birthday, Josiah!

"For all the promises of God in him are yes, and in him Amen, to the glory of God by us." -2 Corinthians 1:20 AKJV 

  Today, my precious son turns six, and as he does, I reflect on the promises God has given me concerning him.   I have kept a book where I have written down various Scriptures & quotes & different stories of God giving me words for my son.  They are words I can stand upon, and because they come from the Lord, I know they shall come to pass.
  Our son was a promised child from the start.  God Himself named him, even though we thought the name "Josiah" was our brilliant idea.  It was the only male name we had picked out.  
  Prior to trying to conceive, my husband, Mike was in prayer one day, & he came out of his prayer closet & said to me, "I think God may have told us to name our son Joshua instead of Josiah."  I, acting so spiritually (said tongue-in-cheek), reply, with great irritation, "Can't I even name my own kid??"  My husband soothed me & said, "It could have been my own mind or the devil as well, so let's ask God for a sign tomorrow, that this was from Him."  So I grudgingly bowed my head & agreed with my husband in prayer for God to give us a sign the following day, whether or not He wanted us to name our son Joshua instead of Josiah.
  The next day came, & we headed out to the grocery store at the Mall.  As we were heading in, we passed a couple with two children getting into a car with a Jesus fish on it.  My husband being my husband, made a comment about the fish.  Next thing we know, we find out they are fellow believers visiting from Alberta.  As I talked to the woman, I looked at her beautiful children and asked her what their names were.  She turns to her daughter and says, "Jada" and then she indicates her son and says, "Josiah."   Talk about a sign!!!
  So a month or two later, we conceived, and even though they didn't tell you the sex of the baby back then in that hospital, we told them we were having a son.  And we did.  And we named him "Josiah".
  My son was used mightily from the get go.  We've since found two other meanings, but the first meaning we found of Josiah was "whom God heals".  It was totally appropriate.  God used my son to heal me of an abortion I'd had when I was 20.  As I tracked the progress of the pregnancy, it made me realize just what I'd done, so that I could repent from the heart, & then God could heal me.  I remember a lady in church up front at the pulpit saying, "To every woman here who has had a miscarriage or abortion, your babies are in heaven with God & you'll see them again."  There I stood, with my big pregnant belly, bursting out crying in church, then running to the washroom for refuge.  Yes, God used my son to completely heal me of the guilt, pain & shame of the abortion I'd had.
  My son will be used more of the Lord as the years go by. I don't have to wonder how God would do such a thing with a child who can't even carry on a conversation, because God used him mightily before he'd even left the womb!
  Six years have gone by since he first entered my life, and I am truly blessed to have such a wonderful son! Happy Birthday to my sweet, precious Josiah.  I love you & look forward to seeing what else God has in store for you!

1 comment:

  1. "They are words I can stand upon, and because they come from the Lord, I know they shall come to pass." I admire you as a mother. Keep up the good work. God bless you, Josiah! Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete